Yesterday my husband told me I was to be "ready" to leave the house at 5pm. He didn't tell me where I was going. He just told me to "be ready". He had a birthday surprise for me (and I'll shamefully admit here that I don't "do" that well with surprises *blush*).
"Where are we going?"
"Can't tell you."
"Do the kids need to be ready too?"
"Nope."
"Are your parents coming over to watch them?"
"I can't tell you that."
"What should I wear?"
"What you have on now is fine. Something casual."
"Will I be able to put the children down for bed?"
"Nope."
"Your parents are coming right? Ian won't go down unless it's them. Please tell me you didn't ask someone else?"
"He's not going to be put to bed by anyone else."
"So it's your parents then?"
"I can't tell you that."
Poor guy. I'm so bad.
So he gets home about 10 to 5. I'm "ready". I even cleaned the house some and got the girls presentable. I told the girls grandma and grandpa were probably coming over.
Hubby walks in the door. I ask, "Are you going to change?"
I'm thinking he's taking me to dinner.
"Well, yeah, but not right now. Are you ready?"
HUH?
At 5pm my dear friend Nancy arrives. Hubby tells me we're going to my favorite restaurant (Mimi's) and then to a 6:50pm showing of The Bourne Ultimatum! He gives me an envelope with money and two tickets for the movie. Then he kicks me out the door. Well, not really, but.....
Is he not the sweetest, most thoughtful, kind husband? I'm totally unworthy of this man. TOTALLY.
We had SUCH a fun time! I haven't had a friend "date" like that since...um...does a trip to Starbucks count? I'm a very boring kind of friend really...most of my "socializing" consists of chatting at church or on the phone (NO COMMENT, KIMBERLY ;)), our whole family getting together with their whole family - those kinds of things. So this is not something I do on a regular basis (or even within the last decade, really). I'm so not a "girlfriend" kind of "girlfriend". I'm a "homebody" kind of "homegirl". HEE HEE.
Nancy and I had a great time! I felt like I was in high school again with all the laughing and lemonade spewing from my nose! Well, lemonade didn't really spew from my nose, but it could have if I wasn't so careful about timing my sips. ;) She even sat through a really intense, fairly violent, very "non chick flick" part-three-in-a-series-she-had-never-seen-before movie and (I think) even liked it! What a FRIEND! :)
THANK YOU HUBBY!!!!
And tonite, this sweet man is even cooking dinner for me.
I'm so blessed. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment