Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jeff's embarrassing moment #9574

Several ladies on a message board I post on were raving about Sonic's "chewy" ICE about a year or so ago. Having never been to a Sonic and therefore not grasping what could possibly be so exciting about ice, I reasoned that I must have been missing something but tried to encourage myself by telling me that my life is still complete despite this unfortunate situation.

Months later, just about the time when I thought I had accepted my Sonicless fate, we were driving back from visiting my parents 400 miles away and low and behold I spotted a Sonic sign!

"HONEY!!!!! PULL OVER!!! WE HAVE TO GO TO SONIC!!! THEY HAVE CHEWY ICE!!!"

Jeff looks at me a little like this: Loony

But being the good man he is, he reluctantly obliged.

I begin to get giddy!

As we approach the drive through, I tell Jeff I want a Diet Coke because they are sooo much better for you than regular Coke with chewy ice!

"HONEY! MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM FOR CHEWY ICE!!!!"

He looks at me a little sideways.

"Yeah. I'll have a Diet Coke please. With chewy ice?"

"Chewy ice?"

"Yeah, we - "

I blurt out, "Do you have chewy ice?!"

"Well...uh.... we have ice."

"I was told it was different than regular ice."

"Um...."

"Is it chewy?"

Hubby is now mortified.

"It's ice, ma'am."

"OK well, is it shaped in a special way?"

"Well, it's kind of shaped like small balls if that's what you mean."

Not knowing what I mean, I figure that must be the unique feature so I accept it.

"OK great. Sounds fine. We'll have a Diet Coke with chewy ice!"

We pull up to the window, pay....hubby wants to crawl under a rock by now....

I open up the lid on my Diet Coke and eagerly sip up a little ice, expecting it to somehow have some kind of knock out taste to it along with the fun ball shape...

I am sorry to report that there was nothing chewy about it.

I was SO disillusioned.

We drove the rest of the way home in silence while I pitifully sipped from my Diet Coke and wished I had gotten a Starbucks Chocolate Chip Java Frapp with creamy topping and chewy chocolate chunks instead.

Hubby silently vowed never to use the word "chewy" in public ever again. Or listen to me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails