It's an Advent/25 Days of Christmas house doohicky thingamabober that has sat around various places in our home for the past 3 years now. I love it - I just haven't been creative enough to utilize it yet.
This season, we are planning on sticking close to home for most of the month, with the exception of church, weekly C0-Op and Christmas with extended family. Since it'll be a less harried (Lord willing) month than usual, I thought it might be a good time to add in activities we don't always have time to do in December. With that nutty idea, I pulled together 25 daily activities (mainly from inspiration gleaned from my good friend, Google), typed them out, assigned them dates, printed and cut them into small pieces of paper and shoved 'em into the corresponding boxes. I confess to you that there are more than a few on there that I don't want to do because I'm plain lazy (and some I didn't choose to do at all because reason has to kick in at some point).
With that, here are our *plans*.
If the Lord so wills them to be.
No holding me to any of this.
Amen.
1 Read a Christmas book together.
2 Make a list of ten things you are thankful for. Hang it where you can see it every day.
3 Write a letter to Daddy and put it in his stocking.
4 Play a board game together.
5 Bake bread together.
6 It’s the Lord’s Day and the second day of Advent!
7 Make paper snowflakes and display them in a window.
8 Work on a fun craft together.
9 Breakfast for dinner!
10 Write a letter to your sister and put it in her stocking.
11 Campout in the livingroom with flashlights, sleeping bags and stories!
12 Go see Christmas lights.
13 It’s the Lord’s Day and the third day of Advent!
14 Have hot chocolate with all the fixings!
15 Paint everyone’s toenails Christmas colors!
16 Make handmade gift tags for relatives.
17 Write a letter to your brother and put it in his stocking.
18 Watch a Christmas movie with popcorn.
19 Dress fancy for dinnertime and dine by candlelight.
20 It’s the Lord’s Day and the fourth day of Advent!
21 Color a Christmas picture.
22 Write a letter to Mommy and put it in her stocking.
23 Make Christmas cookies together.
24 Unwrap one present after dinner (mommy and daddy get to pick which one).
25 It’s Christmas Day! Happy Birthday Jesus!
If you are someone I see on a weekly basis who also happens to have offspring, please refrain from a. telling them about our plans, b. letting them read this blog entry or c. (if it's too late for b.) letting your offspring tell my offspring, "HEY! You're going to paint each other's toenails next week!!!" and various other sundry comments related to what will already likely be a poorly executed 25 days of fun.
Amen.
5 comments:
Those are great ideas!
First off, your secret is safe with me. Not just because I know my kids would blab it to yours but because this is such a GREAT idea and I want to do it too! Only I don't think it will happen this year.
You are such a good mom...they will remember this for a long time. And when next year rolls around I will probably use some of your ideas...they're good ones!
By the way, do you do anything special on the Advent Sundays?
We're using an Advent booklet we've had for several years - it's designed to be used for daily family worship time (each day has corresponding scripture reading and hymn singing related to that weeks Advent theme). On each Sunday we light the next candle. We've done different things each year - last year it was the Jesse Tree and Adornaments.
Thanks Charlotte for your sweet words. :)
I love your old-fashioned Christmas paper on your blog Dawn. It reminds me of some Christmas things that my Grandmother had. You've got some great ideas and your kids are so blessed to have your for their mom. I think I might steal some ideas. Hope you all are feeling better soon...
Post a Comment