Nature study has taken a backseat this winter. Actually, it fell out of the car altogether. But that's the fun of driving your own car. You can just turn it around and go back to get it whenever you want.
Huh?
Anyway, last year, a dear friend of mine told me about something her kids participated in called The Great Backyard Bird Count. She said they had a wonderful time and that she greatly enjoyed it herself. Learning about and observing birds was something she never knew she'd like so much until then!
So this year, we'll be joining in on the fun. This is a great video that tells all you need to know to participate! It's from February 12th - 15th (see my nice little linky logo for it on my left sidebar). You can even get a wonderful list of birds spotted in your zip code last year! I couldn't believe how long our list was!
So I'll be off to the library soon, checking out lots of books and bird field guides and paying off another round of overdue fines - such is the life of a homeschool mom! :)
6 comments:
Yay! My Jerald will be thrilled to hear of another family jumping in to observe his beloved birds! We are blessed with a great youth birding club here. They do field trips once a month and it's so fun to see children enjoy God's creation together. We've done the Great Backyard Bird Count for a few years now.
Kelly, I just love that your son is so interested in birds! Sounds like he may have a future in ornithology someday! :)
How fun for your kids!!!
*You seriously still have word verification? LOL ;)
Melissa, I disabled it. Initially I didn't think it was an option but checked again and waddaya know - it is! :)
Thanks, Dawn! I think I'll look into doing this with the kids.
How fun! I think Kelly's Jerald is influencing my boys. They've taken an interest in birds, and the timing coincides with the time I showed them Jerald's blog.
We'll be doing this!
Tina
Post a Comment