And miraculous.
Ian’s Birth Story
On the morning of May 4, 2005, about 2:30am, I woke up in bed to discover that my water had broken. It was a huge shock to me, because, believe it or not, I had never even considered that being a possibility! I expected to go into labor with contractions first (like my first 2), and I now realized that because of this surprise, labor would be more painful. Because I hadn’t started feeling any contractions yet, I noted the color of the fluid per my midwife’s instruction (no meconium) and went back to bed.
When morning came, I called the midwife to describe the color of the fluid and find out what I needed to do next. She told me that most women would go into labor within 24 hours after their water breaks, and to expect it to start sometime soon. I made an appointment to go into the Birth Center that evening at 7:30pm to be checked if nothing happened beforehand.
It wasn’t until about 6pm, when I got up from the dinner table, that something indeed did happen! “QUICK! GET SOME TOWELS!” I was in shock! I thought my water had already broken but it must have only been a small leak, probably up high. This was the “real thing”!
The next hour was a whirlwind of grabbing for bags, cleaning up, changing into dry clothes, getting last minute items in order and saying goodbye to the girls, who we left with a great family friend.
Off to the birth center we went. Contractions began in the car and were about 5 minutes apart. Once we got to the center, I was put on the fetal monitor. Everything looked great – baby had a strong heartbeat and contractions were still coming. The midwife checked how dilated I was (1cm)….and discovered that the fluid color in fact, did have meconium in it. It was old meconium, but it was still there. My heart dropped. It did not signal a problem at all with Ian, but it did mean that we would not be having a tub birth after all. I was shocked. It was the only thing I had planned for in my mind all these months. I wondered if I could even do it without the water, as the warm water eases the pain as well as helps a laboring mother relax. I was so blessed to have Emma in the birth tub….I just had not considered the real possibility that I would not be able to have this little guy in it as well.
The next surprise came right on the heels of this one – my midwife strongly recommended I start pitocin. She went over all the reasons why it was a good idea, the main one being that my water had been broken so long by that point, and since meconium was present, I was at greater risk of infection as time went on, which in turn can make the uterus “shut down”. Pitocin would not take effect if that happened, and a C section would then become necessary. I knew pitocin would not only speed up the rate at which I was having contractions, but would make them much more stronger and painful than they already were. It wasn’t an easy decision, but both Jeff and I decided it would be best – and they started my IV. I was so disappointed.
4.5 hours later, I was dilated to 4cm, and in excruciating pain. I barely had time to relax between contractions, as they were now coming once every 2 minutes. I was allowed to get into the tub for laboring only, so I tried, however, my contractions were so strong that it really did not help at all. I decided I needed some medication to take off the edge. They gave me Stadol, which basically made me immediately sleepy, but did nothing for the contractions. At this point, I knew that unless had pain relief, I would not be able to labor all the way to 10cm without hindering the progress of my dilation. I was in too much pain. It was also about 4am and I had not had any sleep. I had no idea how much longer I would be in labor, but I knew I could not last more than another half an hour without relief. So I did what I thought I would never do – I asked for an epidural.
About 40 minutes later (the anesthesiologists are NOT on site), I was numb from the waist down and not having pain. For the next 2 hours I rested (Jeff slept), and anticipated meeting my little guy very soon.
At about 8am I was fully dilated and ready to push. The nurses and midwife gathered around and the big moment was upon us. I pushed for just over 30 minutes. Once his head was out, the midwife suctioned his nose and mouth for meconium and then I was told to continue to push. I pushed. He didn’t move. Suddenly everything went into overdrive and the encouragements for me to push now turned into very strong demands. I could sense immediately that things were not right. One of the nurses got up on the table and pushed my stomach down hard, yelling, “GET THIS BABY OUT NOW!” I have never been so frightened in my entire life as I was when I heard those panicked words. I knew that the life of this precious son of mine was in jeopardy, and that it was up to me to push as hard as I possibly could to get him out. I will never forget these horrifying seconds that seemed to me like hours, and I cannot type these words without tears. I am so grateful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, for His incredible grace and mercy in bringing this beautiful baby into the world. The midwife was able to get him free, and once he was out, they whisked him to the warmer to examine him and continue suctioning out the meconium. I caught a glimpse of him being whizzed past me and remember that he was BIG AND PINK!!!! Jeff and the nurses reassured me he was great throughout the entire time trying to get him out and immediately afterwards, but it took a long time for it to sink in. I just sobbed. My baby was okay and I was sooo thankful!!!!
Ian was born on May 5, 2005 and weighed 11lbs. 13oz. OH MY! What a big boy!!! I gave birth to a 3 month old!!!!!!! Hee hee!
While he was being examined, the nurses quickly discovered that he was not moving his right shoulder or arm. It was the same shoulder that got stuck when I was trying to push him out. At that point, we had no idea if he had a broken collarbone, if there was any nerve damage, or if there would be any long term effects from it. The nurses gave a lot of reassurance to us by explaining how rare long term damage is from shoulder dystocia, and that usually they will move their arm more and more within the first few days afterwards. We were grateful to find out from an x-ray later that morning that nothing was broken. He was able to move all his fingers, which was a very good sign, and within the next few days we saw an amazing impovement in his mobility with that arm. At the time of this story (5 days after his birth), there is no distinguishable difference in either arm, and we are rejoicing at how God has brought what looks to be full healing of that arm. Two pediatricians that examined him were very encouraged by the quick progress and are very hopeful that there won’t be long term damage. Praise God!
During our 2 day stay at the birth center, Ian charmed all the nurses and staff. Other new parents even heard about him and would stop Jeff in the hall – “Are you the one with the big baby?” The hospital diapers didn't fit him, so they had to run to the store to get him size 1's! All the while we soaked up the blessing of this beautiful baby boy that God had entrusted us with, and could not be more full of joy. We realized that it wasn't that common to deliver a baby that big, let alone do it without a C section (my mom still cannot get over that part ). I truly do believe he is a miracle baby, and that the seasoned midwife who delivered him was a gift of God. He didn't show any signs of high blood sugar before or after birth, nor did I - he was just supposed to be a big boy!
God has truly blessed us. He gave me a labor I had not anticipated, and by His sovereignty, a very difficult birth, and we give Him all glory for it. "All things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose” Romans 8:28. Ian’s birth is a testimony of that glorious truth. To God be all praise and glory.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY IAN!
No comments:
Post a Comment