We had a ball.
My grinner.

Picking apples.

All the kidlets....mine and the K Kiddos...

Can't get me!

Browsing a store. Note the unruly blonde kid on the right.

K and Ian
!

Lunchtime was really the highlight of the whole day. We decided beforehand that we'd just bring a lunch for our individual families. So, I packed PB&J's for Jeff and the kids, threw in a slew of individual packs of kiddo cookies and chips, granola bars etc. - mostly all from camping the week before. Packed a few water bottles and we were good.
So when we sit down to lunch, K (the wife) teases me about how "prepared" I always am (right) and how "unprepared" she was...not having made PB&J sandwiches or snack baggies, right?
So what DOES she bring?
Oh... a cooler on wheels that needed to be hooked to the back of their sedan as a trailer (I think they had to get a permit for it) full of the following "randomly thrown in" items: a gargantuan block of cheese, salami log, a few loaves of bread, various other goodies, Godiva coffee, really good root beer AND a carton of tomato soup. The utensils: a pan and spoon, some kind of mini camping contraption to COOK the soup.... and a can of flammable gel - the kind you use for chaffing dishes.
Oh. My. People.
So they begin to prepare all their food and proceed to COOK their soup. Nearby there is this really odd clown show going on to entertain all the lounging lunchers. We ignored it, being apparently the only sane people in the vicinity.
Suddenly, people nearby begin to stare and whisper. I'm thinking, "You canNOT COOK here! We're breaking fire code laws or something! This is someone's property! There's wind! There's kids! There's even clowns with hair liable to catch fire near open flame!"
Of course, I never said all that, but K Wife knew I was thinking that. I think she thought it was funny.
So the K's try a little harder to conceal the stuff as they cook it. We all try to help by huddling around the loot so as not to draw any attention. Right.
A (K's hubby) is military, so this lent to the birth of my brilliant idea which I share next. I point to A and quietly whisper in a really loud projectory voice, "HE'S AIR FORCE! It's OK! We have military clearance privileges!"
It actually seemed to work.
So Jeff then asks A, "How do you put those things out?" A, with one finger waving side to side, says, "Ha. NOT by blowing on it!!! I learned that!" Apparently when you blow on it, it fans it and the flames shoot back at you. Ah.
Jokingly Jeff retorts, "So that's what happened to your hair?" (Note: A's hair is very nice and short beause he's military, and it's just SLIGHTLY receeding but not much at all and it really looks great, right K?).
A says, "Yup. When I see another guy with hair like mine, I know.....'you blew on that bunsun burner can didn't you?'"
I just can't believe I never got a PICTURE of the whole thing. I'm still kicking myself!
We had a wonderful time! The K's are so much fun and we are so blessed by their friendship (really, I am not just saying that because K will kill me after reading this).
No comments:
Post a Comment