A wise woman - an admired mother and wife - when asked how, with her weak physical health and many demands upon her time, she managed to read so much, said, "Besides my Bible, I always keep three books going that are just for me - a stiff book, a moderately easy book, and a novel, and I always take up the one I feel fit for." That is the secret: always have something "going" to grow by.A stiff book is a challenging one. It may be one of Christian doctrine or a collection of meaty sermons.
An easy book may be biographical. It lets us into the life of another struggling person, a person with integrity, determination, and the ability to surrender to God, perhaps.
For novels I recommend you read good ones. My small cast of venerable novelists includes Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Nathaniel Hawthorn, George Elliot, and Charles Dickens.
Charlotte Mason advised the teacher to replenish her soul with a continual supply of ideas. "Never be without a good book on hand."
This morning, I read this in A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola in the encouraging chapter on Mother Culture. I think I'm going to apply the advice.
For my stiff book, I need to do some searching in our "meaty" book shelves. We've been blessed to have acquired several wonderful theological books over the years. Some have been browsed for helpful information, others have been well read and loved from cover to cover, but some have barely been touched or cracked open - their treasure remains yet undiscovered. It'll be fun to look through them and once I find one, I'll update (since I know you're all just on the edge of your keyboard wondering which it'll be! Hee hee).
The easy book will be hard to choose. I have several going right now! Heart and Home, Victorian Traditions, Mitten Strings for God (which I've been wanting to blog about - it is a wonderful book!). I don't know if I'll be able to choose just one...
And for a novel, Pride and Prejudice will fit perfectly. Now if I can just finish it before I need to return it to the library....
What books are you reading right now? When do you find time?
A dear friend of mine gave me one of her secrets to stealing moments with a good book - keep it in a basket in the bathroom! It's funny, but great advice for us busy moms! There have been several times my husband has knocked on the door asking if I was "OK in there?" Hee hee! I just get reading and lose track of time...
Occasionally, I also like to read before bed. It is such a comfort to retire early, settle under the cozy flannel sheets with a good book and just read. Nothing too weighty or theological - my brain is too tired then. Ohhhh....and wouldn't a cup of nice hot tea be wonderful? Making a mental note to do that next time...
Early morning is really the best time for me to read though. My mind is most alert and I enjoy the quiet moments before my sweeties wake up!
......Do not think this is a selfish thing to do, because the advance does not end with yourself. - Parents' Review magazine, 1892
No comments:
Post a Comment