Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Favorite Things Tuesday!

Blogging has not been high on my list of things to do in the past several months. In fact, it's way down on my priority list - right below "survive". OK I don't really have a priority list, but if I did, that's where it would be. And I also think "survive" would have been #1, depending on the day or season. So I guess all I've been doing some days is just surviving. Excuse me for living.

So anyway, I've been wanting to get back to posting more regularly again (did I ever do that?). I think I even used to enjoy writing conveying my rambling disjointed thoughts.

And you know what? Today is TUESDAY! That means I can post about my favorite things!

HOORAH!

I started My Favorite Things Tuesday waaaaaay back in April of last year. So what if I only did it twice? It's a tradition now.

So before I begin, I'll remind you of the "rules":

These are THINGS...not people. Not God. So clearly, my favoritest favorite things (er, not things) I am purposely leaving out here. Just getting that straight.

The other rule is that it is possible that I might make rare liberal use of words such as love, amazing, awesome, marriage, drooling, and salivating when writing about My Favorite Things. I know that some like to organize and be more selective with their adjective usage. I am very unorganized and unselective, adjectively speaking. That is my defense and I am hiding behind it, thank you. I think.

So here we go.

Back when I was in college, I journaled a lot. Almost daily I would record my thoughts, feelings and prayers as a young woman newly beginning her life in Christ. I had a lot to say, and I loved having pen and paper in which to express it. I enjoyed finding pretty journals at places like Ross and the bookstore, and I've kept each one of them to this day.

Somewhere along the way I stopped journaling, and I've missed it. I've missed not writing down scripture that speaks to my soul, not recording the joys and difficulties of life and the lessons God is teaching me.

So I'm going to journal again. I found a nice red leatherette journal at Target with magnetic closure, and it's a new favorite.




Excuse the hair.

And the odd facial expression.

And whatever else is offensive.

I've been reading a book that has really encouraged my heart in seeing the gifts and blessings in the everyday things we often take for granted. To see the blessings, even in the gifts we don't like (ouch). So though I plan to write all kinds of hokey things in my new journal, I also hope to be able to record in it the things I sometimes forget to be thankful for.


Today, I'm grateful for:

1. The beautiful sunshine warm on my face.
2. Slow cooker enchilada chili filling the house with the anticipation of dinner.
3. Coughs that are beginning to quiet.
4. The bike helmet that cushioned my favorite boy's head after absently walking into his swinging sister.
5. The phone message from my love, left just to tell me he's thinking of me.
6. The death of February.
7. The artwork my children created and stuck on the fridge.
8. Afternoon coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream. Even if I put too much Irish Cream in and had to dump it out on the lawn. And keep the dog from licking it up.
9. Chocolate chips.
10. My new favorite journal to write in.


5 comments:

Kate said...

So nice to read your blog again. Have fun with the journal! :)
Kate

Charlotte said...

I love it when you blog! Journaling is something I have done since my Sweetie and I were married. But I have noticed that since I started blogging I have been way less faithful at keeping my journal up; I guess in some ways it is redundant. You reminded me that it has been a few weeks and I need to dig it out and record some stuff.

And I love your grateful things list!

Dawn said...

Thanks, dear friends. You are such an encouragement to me. :)

Nancy Stanley said...

Love to read your blog, Friend. Glad to see you are at it again. You brighten my day with your funny stories and encouraging insight. : )

faith said...

i cannot believe i did not respond to this back when you first wrote it... i am thankful for you, though i must admit i am afraid to journal... ;) <3 you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails