Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Outdoor Hour Challenge #1


The Outdoor Hour ~ Challenge #1

One of the blessings of being a homeschool mom is being able to tailor and choose the studies of your children. While we give primary emphasis on those ever important 3 R's, we feel it's of equal significance for them to enjoy the beauty of God's creation through both outdoor play and nature study. While outdoor play happens almost daily, I like to carve out a bit of time at the end of our school week for nature observation. Many times this doesn't include a specific focus, as my main goal is just to enjoy our surroundings and watch the children discover and explore without limitations (except for yelling at them as they dart behind bushes and corners to watch out for poison oak, rogue snakes, food-like subtances either growing on plants or left by humans, beehives, rabid mountain lions, bats, possoms, or skunks, rust covered nails, thorns or any other dangerous object - other than all that, of course). However, having more of a focus is nice, and that's where my long, rambling post get's to the long-awaited for point, and that is where The Outdoor Hour Challenges come in.

Barb, God bless her, has kindly pulled together all of our nature studies for us this fall into nice, neat, weekly lesson plans for me. Well, not specifically for me, but nonetheless, I'm reaping the benefits of her hard work. I highly recommend her blog to any mom who is interested in adding some more nature study to their weeks!

This week, we got going on the first challenge - Cattails! Normally we do our nature studies on Fridays, but since half of our wonderful Wednesday Co-Op group was away for the week, we decided the other half of us (consisting of my dear friend Charlotte's family and us) would get together during that time and enjoy a nearby nature trail where I knew we'd find some cattails along the meandering creek.

Here are some pics of our great time:
























We had a fun time, even though it was way too hot! The kids enjoyed the cattails (though I think we were supposed to tell them not to rip them off the stalks - something to work on next time). Only one child went home sporting a minor cut on the toe and so far, no one has shown any evidence of poison oak. I call that successful! ;)

We're all looking forward to learning more about cattails and the changes that they undergo each season! Thanks, Barb for pulling all these wonderful studies together ~ our family will be blessed by them!

5 comments:

Barb said...

You made me smile...I did put these challenges together for you (and all the other moms out there trying to include nature study). You are very welcome. :)

I love that you did nature study with another family this week. It looks like everyone had a great time and your journal entries are well done. I know next season you will enjoy coming back to remember this day that you spent here this fall.

Have a great week.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Barb said...

Just one more thing...can I use one of your photos with the kids and cattails as the OH Challenge Photo of the Week?

Let me know. harmonyfinearts@yahoo.com

Thanks, Barb

Charlotte said...

We had SO much fun with you that day! And I am so excited about continuing the Outdoor Hour Challenge. Thanks Dawn, for a wonderful day.

Dawn said...

We had a great time with you all too, Charlotte. :)

Barb, I emailed you - yes, you can use one of the photos! Thanks! :)

walking said...

I love all the pages your children did! Beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails