Blog Meme: Do I blog like I talk?
First off, I'm not entirely clear on what a "meme" is.
Hold on. I'll go check.
Here we go - from Dictionary.com:
meme –noun- a cultural item that is transmitted by repetition in a manner analogous to the biological transmission of genes.
Well, that clears it up!
Hmmm...there's more...
meme philosophy
/meem/ [By analogy with "gene"] Richard Dawkins's term for an idea considered as a replicator, especially with the connotation that memes parasitise people into propagating them much as viruses do.
Memes can be considered the unit of cultural evolution. Ideas can evolve in a way analogous to biological evolution. Some ideas survive better than others; ideas can mutate through, for example, misunderstandings; and two ideas can recombine to produce a new idea involving elements of each parent idea.
The term is used especially in the phrase "meme complex" denoting a group of mutually supporting memes that form an organised belief system, such as a religion. However, "meme" is often misused to mean "meme complex".
Use of the term connotes acceptance of the idea that in humans (and presumably other tool- and language-using sophonts) cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has become more important than biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.K. What. Ev. Er.
Let's just move on to the question because I *think* I understand that.
Do I blog like I talk?
Yes.
And no.
Yes - the silliness, the dorky comments, or the long winded philosophical/theological stuff...um..yeah.
Anything that makes sense or that accidentally sounds cool on my blog - no.
Do I have anything in that category?
OK truly...I have always communicated more clearly through the written word than I speak. I've been told that for years (huh, Mom?). I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but it is what it is.
I spend too much time "thinking". Now, do not confuse that with intelligence. Thinking and intelligence are not the same thing. I HOPE I'm not an imbecelle (I have just tried to spell that word about 10 different ways and every single one is showing up incorrect on my spellchecker so I choose to accept it), and I truly TRY hard not to be. The fact that I'm always thinking means I often get "lost" when someone is sharing something that IS intelligent, why I can "tune out" when my toddler repeats "Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? MOMMY?!" for over 5 minutes before I think to answer him, and why I can often confuse others when I speak because my words don't line up to or catch up to my thoughts very well.
Which is totally embarrassing.
And which in turn makes me self conscious.
And I mull over that self consciousness.
Which makes me more self conscious.
And then I feel like I'm acting self conscious.
So I try to stop.
But by then, it's a lost case.
Anyway, I think that I "think" the way I write. Speaking what I think - it just gets all gummed up.
Which is why I like typing so much better for communicating.
Which is why I've found I really love to blog.
Which tells you something about how often I think when I only update this once a week....
Which I bet makes you wonder why you even asked the question to begin with.
------
And here's the quote I promised (with the link to where I found it - LOVE THIS WEBSITE!)...

Doesn't this clear up everything?
4 comments:
Hehe! Love that quote! Yep, that is definitely me most of the time. Oh well, I'll just think of it as training.
Tina
OOOOKAAAAYYYYYYYY THEN! WHEW! You are soooo silly Dawn - very entertaining! :)
Love, Mom
I'm doing a new link up!! Do it with us! Please?? :)
http://marineswife.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/blog-trail-tuesday-feb-16/
Hahaha! Dawn, you're so funny! But I totally am the same way. The written word is sooo much easier than the spoken word. :)
Post a Comment