Monday, July 26, 2010

Dawn's Daybook

I'm thinking: About the annual homeschool conference this weekend and all the books I hope to purchase. I'm looking forward to a few speakers/workshops by Todd Wilson, Lisa Kjeldgaard and Suzanne Clark, but overall I don't plan to go to a whole heap this time. I think as you get further along in the home school journey and have seen a few homeschool "fads" and heard several speakers, you get a bit more ho hum about it all. Sometimes the workshops have really been a help to me in my homeschooling, particularly those that have had practical application (like Kendra's Preschoolers and Peace etc). But I confess I now tend to avoid speakers that are heavy on the family/parenting based subjects for sooo many reasons, none of which I am going to share here. LOL Let me just say, I am much more skeptical of "popular" homeschool or Christian speakers/authors than I used to be.

I'm reading: A book on how to plant a native wildflower garden. As a result, I am more skeptical about being able to successfully grow one. ;)

I'm listening to: The kids squeeling out back on the swingset. 2 swings for 3 kids provides lots of opportunity for patience and working on whining problems.

We're learning: How to appreciate summertime and all the simple joys that go with it. In other words, I ditched my July summer school plans and cannot be happier about it.

I'm watching: I confess - I'm watching The Next Food Network Star and love it. I'm rooting for Aarti!

I'm cooking: We're having bbq'd burgers tonite with salad. I think I'll make some pico de gallo to have with tortilla chips!

I'm buying: A Macbook Pro!!! Soooo excited!

I'm thankful for: My husband. I love him so much - he is a saint!

I'm creating: A new filing system. It's not really "creating" but I got the idea on a homeschool blog and I think I'm going to try to see if it works for me this fall and then evaluate.

I'm praying: For peace, contentment, and genuine love for others.

This week: The kids and I will be painting the wainscoat in Ian's bedroom. It's a dark burgundy color right now and it doesn't match his bedspread. We bought a nice medium blue. I hope to have a friend and her kids over later this week, and then Friday and Saturday I'm going to the conference!

A picture to share:



This is one of my favorite photos of Hannah. She was 5 here, and we were visiting a farm in Lodi. I can't believe how much she's grown since then!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

The conference sounded like it was a good one! And if we had cable I am sure I would be addicted to the food network. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails