Friday, August 6, 2010

Learning to ride

A few months back, a friend gave us a mini glider bike to borrow. It's designed to help a child learn how to ride a bike without the use of training wheels. The glider website says the bike has a "lower center of gravity and seat height with a relaxed steering angle and hand brake for easier control. This design allows children to build both their confidence and skill simultaneously. A child starts by walking and pushing while seated, trusting his/her own abilities while quickly graduating to gliding on two wheels. "

We were thrilled to be able to try it out with Ian. Here was his first outing with it.

Thankfully, he didn't mind that it was hot pink.







Success!

He was balancing himself on it within 15 minutes. I love the idea that they balance BEFORE they learn to pedal instead of the reverse on a regular bike. I think he may only need a few more times practicing on it until we can get him on a regular bike and see how he does!

If you're interested, my friend reviewed it for The Old Schoolhouse magazine here: http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/3933.php


2 comments:

Joyce said...

GOOD JOB IAN!! Lance Armstrong - look out!! :)

Charlotte said...

I am so happy he didn't notice the color. And I can't wait to see him on the two wheeler soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails